Making margaritas

>> Friday, January 15, 2010

There is a little Mexican restaurant near our house that serves the absolute best margaritas, but since they cost $10 a pop, I’ve been on a mission to recreate their fabulousness at home (and for a fraction of the cost!).

The fact I’m even doing this is funny because I’m not usually a margarita fan – since most places tend to go heavy on the sour mix, light on the tequila, I tend to steer clear in favor of a Corona. However, this restaurant used fresh fruit “muddled” in their margaritas (they even have a cucumber margarita, how crazy is that?) and higher quality ingredients, which definitely makes the difference.

After some trial and error (hiccup!) and experimentation with different fruits, I believe I’ve struck upon a fabulous margarita recipe. So bust out your sombrero, mix up the guacamole and come south of the border with this, a blood orange margarita:

Blood Orange Margarita (one serving)

Take one blood orange and cut it in half (you will use one half per margarita). I then quarter the half to make it easier to squeeze.



Squeeze the orange quarters into a martini shaker, along with 3 lime wedges.



Add to this:

¾ oz. triple sec
¾ oz. lime juice
1 ½ oz. silver tequila (I used Sauza Blanca)
1 ½ oz. sweet/sour mix

Shake well. Serve over ice and enjoy!



I have also modified this recipe using strawberries instead of the blood oranges. All the other ingredients/steps remain the same, just substitute about ½ cup of frozen strawberries (I nuke them for a few seconds until they are soft) and squeeze them between your fingers into the martini shaker. Messy, but definitely worth it!

Cheers and happy Friday!

2 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks January 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

I found the Hess wine last night....want to do a joint post with me on Wednesday? We can both feature the hess wine!

Can't wait to try it :)

Clean Fresh Mommy January 15, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Absolutely! I'll pick up a bottle over the weekend!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP