Tisk, tisk Corner Bakery!

>> Friday, January 29, 2010

After a visit to the doctor this morning, I promised my daughter we would have lunch out, so we stopped by our local Corner Bakery cafe. This is our favorite place to eat as we are both able to get something we enjoy (mac and cheese with fruit for her, a trio salad for me).

We grabbed a table and while waiting for our food to be delivered, I noticed the new tablecard hugging the salt/pepper stand: "100 Corner Combos Under 600 Calories."

Intrigued and more than a little excited, I started reading the list. (Here's the full list if you're interested.)

As I read, I was almost giddy with all the choices and in awe that I could enjoy so many yummy things for under 600 calories.

Then I got to the fine print at the bottom: "Side items not included in calorie count."

Huh??

So I went on their web site to see what the average calorie count was for the sides they suggested. Basically, you would have to add an extra 140 calories for a cup of chicken noodle soup, 320 calories for a cup of broccoli cheddar soup, 160 calories for a small side salad, and so on. That means these lunches realistically run between 750 - 950 calories.

For a woman trying to lose weight, the recommended calorie intake is between 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day. Ordering one of these special meals at Corner Bakery could cost almost half your calorie intake if you didn't read the fine print. Eek!

Eating out is hard when you're trying to make healthy choices and I've learned that educating yourself beforehand is critical. Even ordering a salad, which seems so healthy, can be a diet saboteur depending on the dressing!

Thankfully, most restaurants are publishing their nutritional information online these days, which makes it easy to reference and plan ahead. For restaurants I frequent regularly, I've printed out the nutritional info and keep it in my purse for quick reference. There are even iPhone apps that allow you to look up this information for restaurants in your area, which is super handy and helpful!

As for today's lunch, I enjoyed a bowl of Roasted Tomato Basil soup with spicy croutons for a mere 320 calories. And on a cold, blustery day like today, it was exactly what I needed!

2 comments:

Corner Bakery Cafe February 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Hi there. Thanks for posting about our 100 Under 600 program. Just to clear things up, the total of both items in the 100 combos we highlight are indeed under 600 calories. When we say “side items not included in calorie count” we are referring to accompanying bread, chips, carrots or pickles. Please also note that combos feature a half sandwich or cafe-sized salad paired with either a cup of soup or a side salad, making it possible for us to offer so many options under 600 calories. I hope this helps clarify our 100 under 600 menu. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions, and thanks again! – Diana Hovey, Corner Bakery Cafe Senior Vice President of Marketing, dhovey@cornerbakerycafe.com

Clean Fresh Mommy February 6, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Thanks for commenting Diana. I appreciate the clarification and will most certainly be enjoying a selection from the 100 under 600 menu on my next visit!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP