Tacos without meat and cheese?

>> Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Yes, it can be done! And quite tastily too!

I found this recipe online quite awhile ago, but never had a reason to try it, since before this vegan challenge, I would load my taco with shredded chicken or whatever other meat was prepared.

So last night, I decided to give this recipe a try:

Lentil Taco "Meat"
3/4 cup of lentils (rinsed)
1/2 medium onion diced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of taco seasoning
2 teaspoons of cumin
4 cups of water

Saute garlic and onion in a little olive oil. Add lentils and seasonings, stir. Add water simmer until lentils are tender (adding more water as needed) about 30-40 minutes. Serve in a tortilla with your favorite toppings. Serves 6+.



It smelled divine while simmering on the stove for the 40 minutes. Once cooked, I mashed it up a bit just to give it a more refried bean texture. Then I fried up some corn tortillas (I figured if I was going to eat a taco without cheese, then doggone it, I could enjoy a fried shell at least!). Sprinkled the shells with a little garlic salt, then loaded them up with the lentils, some lettuce, olives and salsa. All in all, not too bad! Even Clean Fresh Hubby ate them without complaint, saying the flavor was good. He's a tough cookie to pass vegan foods off too, so I took that as high praise coming from him!

So if you're looking for a way to do Mexican food a little healthier, give these a try!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP