Veganizing Paula Deen

>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

A few months ago, pre-vegan days, we went to dinner at a friend's house where she introduced us to a "my arteries are probably clogging just writing this" recipe by Paula Deen. It was a big bowl of love... pasta, cream cheese and bacon. I would've licked the bowl had it not been socially inappropriate, the pasta was that good.

I saved the recipe, but never had a chance to make it before I changed my eating habits. Then it dawned on me that perhaps I could "veganize" this recipe. I figured it was worth a shot, right?

So here it is, my attempt to take a Paula Deen recipe and turn it into something healthy.

Smoky Tomato Bacon Pasta

1/2 box Morning Star "bacon" (about 6 slices)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
salt and pepper
4 ounces Tofutti cream cheese, cut into pieces
1 box uncooked Quinoa pasta shells

In a large skillet, cook the bacon according to package instructions, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer it to a plate.

Using the same skillet, melt a pat of Earth Balance butter and a tablespoon of vegetable oil then add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, then crumble in the bacon. Season with salt and pepper; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and chunky, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese until melted.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the sauce and serve immediately.



The result?

Actually, I was skeptical going in to this as the original pasta is just so darn good. I was pleasantly surprised with this modified recipe. I used a little too much onion and would definitely reduce the amount the next time I made it (I adjusted the recipe above to reflect my preferred taste... I used a large onion whereas a medium onion would probably be better).

Both Clean Fresh Hubby and I ate a full plate, and while I didn't have that "lick the plate" feeling, I did have a sense of satisfaction in converting the recipe to something I didn't have to feel guilty eating.

1 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks April 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM  

I didn't know you lived in Chicago...I will be up ther to do the 1/2 Rock and Roll Marathon in August!

Are you doing it?

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP