What I'm Lovin' Wednesday

>> Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wednesdays are typically reserved for a wine review, but if you can believe it, nary a drop of wine passed these lips over the weekend! Wine, no. Pomegranate martinis, yes.

So today, in lieu of wine, I thought I'd share with you the things I'm loving right now... the things that are making my no meat or cheese existence a little easier.

Steel Cut Oats
Probably one of my most favorite breakfasts ever and so easy to make because there is no cooking involved. I cover 1/4 cup of steel cut oats with water and refrigerate it overnight. The next morning, the water is all but gone, absorbed into the oats. I add in some agave syrup, cinnamon, a diced apple, and the best part of all, some candied pecans (from Trader Joe's). It is so quick to pull together in the morning and since you eat it cold, I can bring it to work and eat it at my desk. Yummy!



Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils

Lentils are a great source of protein, and now that I've discovered Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils, they are working their way into quite a few recipes as a meat substitute (remember my post on lentil taco meat? Yep, Trader Joe's Lentils).



One of my favorite "quick and easy" dinners is to heat up a pack of lentils with a can of stewed tomatoes, 5-6 cloves of garlic (minced), some shredded carrots and a handful of spinach. Let it cook until heated through. Fast, fast, fast. This tastes divine with goat cheese sprinkled on it (if you haven't given up cheese).

And last but not least:

Subway Kids Meal
My go-to "fast food" lunch is a veggie sandwich from Subway. It wasn't until this weekend though that I picked up a kids meal for my daughter while I was in there (usually she picks at mine).



For about $3.50 (cheaper than a Happy Meal from McD's), she got a 3" sub, a chocolate milk and a bag of apples. And it came in a small reusable bag or "purse" as she calls it. I love that the bag is something she can play with versus a cardboard box that finds it's way to the recycle bin before we even hit the house.

So there you have it. What I'm loving this Wednesday (and pretty much every other day of the week!).

1 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks April 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

We love Steel Cut Oats! But I have never tried your trick I always cook them!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP