Wine Wednesday: Layer Cake Shiraz

>> Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I was a bad girl this weekend. Too much alcohol, too many bad-for-me foods, too many late nights.

It started Thursday night, when some girlfriends and I met up for a much-needed Girls Night Out. We hadn't gotten together in awhile, so there was a lot for us to catch up on. About three margaritas and a beer's worth of catching up. Probably didn't get to bed till midnight, only to be awakened by my daughter at 6 a.m. Cost for this evening: a raging headache and case of heartburn from too many margaritas.

Friday night hubby and I parked it on the couch, ordered Thai food and watched "Couples Retreat." I had very low expectations for this movie, so was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be decent. One particular scene actually had us both in tears it was so funny! Still recovering from my Thursday night, I konked out right after the movie.

Saturday night was dinner at our friends' house. I alone consumed a beer, almost an entire bottle of wine and two chocolate martinis. Dinner was a recipe out of the Paula Deen cookbook, so I don't even need to go into any other detail as the woman isn't known for her health food! Left their house around 11 p.m., drunk as a skunk. Cost for this evening: another splitting headache and an even worse case of heartburn thanks to the booze and rich foods.

Pretty worthless all day Sunday, as one might expect. Which pisses me off since I did it to myself. I'm getting too old to suffer a hangover, especially when I have a toddler that does not relent, even when mommy's head feels like it might explode.

Needless to say, I have been back on track this week. But I would remiss if I didn’t talk about one of the wines I enjoyed over the weekend. I mean heck, if it was good enough to down a bottle, it has to be good, right?

Layer Cake Shiraz



My apologies that I don’t have a personal picture – since we were at friend’s house, I felt a little weird whipping out the camera so I could have documentation for my blog. But let me just say, this wine was phenomenal! Very rich, very smooth, it went down (a little too) easy.

This particular wine is from Australia, so given how much I enjoyed it and how much I have been enjoying my New Zealand varietals, I think I might have a new favorite region for wine producers. This area is definitely on my radar now when I’m in the wine department shopping!

Cost was about $17.99 for a bottle and worth every penny. And with such a cute label, this would also be a great wine to bring to a party or give as a hostess gift.

2 comments:

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks February 24, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

I love the label too and wow that cake looks too good to...maybe when I try the other one I will do it wth cake :)


*hey do you have a twitter account?*

Anonymous,  February 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM  

We are honored and certainly hope you loved our wine; this is the type of response we always want as we take great pride in the craftsmaship in each and every bottle of Layer Cake Shiraz. If you loved the Shiraz, it's a must you try the Primitivo and Malbec.

We are going to share your write up on our blog, http://layercakewine.wordpress.com

Thanks so much, we hope to hear from you soon.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP